2018 Details Coming Soon!
The 2017 Transamerica Chicago Triathlon is proud to introduce the 6th Annual Open Water Swim & Clinic Series. These sessions are designed to help new triathletes safely enter into, and properly prepare for the sport of triathlon. We will host three large sessions this year, designed to better accommodate more individuals. Details below:
2017 Transamerica Chicago Triathlon Open Water Swim & Clinic Schedule
Location: Ohio Street Beach
Start times range from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 27: Open Water Swim & Clinic #1
- Tuesday, July 25: Open Water Swim & Clinic #2
- Tuesday, August 22: Open Water Swim & Clinic #3
New in 2017: This year’s clinics allow participants to select from a range of start times (between 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.). As usual, swim registrants will then choose from two unique event formats:
- Long Distance Swim: Participants looking to test their open water endurance will start at a dedicated time alongside 50-100 other swimmers – a true race simulation. Chip timing will record splits for both 1/2 and full mile distances, with results posted online for those who opt-in to a special Athlinks page. Roving coaches will patrol the waters, to ensure athlete comfort and safety, as well as provide swim tips for those interested. Participants with a decent amount of swim experience are encouraged to test their training at each of these monthly sessions.
- Small Group Swim Clinic: Separate swim instruction will be offered for both new and experienced swimmers who prefer to focus on tips and techniques. Swimmers will be placed into groups (20-30 individuals) with similar experience levels and goals, relative to the registration questionnaire. Coaches will facilitate a 30-minute, in-water session. Upon completion, Swim Clinic students will be encouraged to continue swimming on their own – as much or as little as they please. Roaming coaches along the long distance swim course will continue to monitor and support the swimmers. Specifically, these clinics will cover:
- How open water swimming differs from the pool
- Rules of the triathlon swim
- Swim etiquette at Ohio Street Beach
- Properly wearing / removing a wetsuit
- Common triathlon swim issues (hyperventilating, breathing, sighting)
This year, registrants will pay a mandatory $10 donation upon registration. 100% of all proceeds to benefit official Chicago Triathlon charities.
As always, local retailers will be available on-site with a fleet of rental wetsuits – a great opportunity to test a range of brands/styles before committing to purchase a wetsuit. They will likely charge a fee (on-site) for rentals. Wetsuit reservations cannot be scheduled in advance.
Registration for Clinic #3 (the final session) is now open, on a first-come, first-served basis. Click here to enroll.
Don’t delay! These events, much like race day, sell out quickly.
PS: While you’re at it, join us for the inaugural Gildan Underwear Run!