As participation levels in the sport of triathlon continue to grow, so does the need to properly educate, motivate and physically prepare these new audiences. This sport may be a bit more complex than others, but it does not have to be intimidating.
For these reasons, Life Time is proud to provide a wide variety of resources dedicated to helping you meet all of your triathlon goals — whether it be finishing your first race or setting a long-standing personal best. We love triathlon and are committed to sharing this passion with the hope that you will love it, too. From complimentary educational sessions and first-timer clinics to full-fledged group training programs, we cover it all.
Learn to love open water swimming in the heart of Chicago!
The Chicago Triathlon is proud to introduce the Open Water Swim Clinic & Aquathlon Series. This program was launched in 2012 to help new triathletes experience open water swimming in a safe, non-intimidating environment. These events provide participants with expert coaching, gear check, wetsuit rental opportunities, lifeguard support, and post-event socials with fellow participants and coaches. Additionally, registrants may join the Swim-on-your-own or competitive Aquathlon options. Since its inception, more than 12,000 participants have directly enhanced their swim abilities from these clinics.
Open Water Swim Clinic, Swim-On-Your-Own & Competitive Aquathlon
Location: Ohio Street Beach
Start times range from 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- Session #1: Tuesday, June 1
- Session #2: Tuesday, June 29
- Session #3: Tuesday, July 27
- Session #4: Tuesday, August 24
Participants must register for these events separately from the Chicago Triathlon. As in previous years, participants may select from three possible start times (4:00, 5:15, or 6:30 p.m.). Registrants will choose from three unique event formats:
- Open Water Swim Clinic: Private swim instruction for beginner and intermediate-level swimmers looking for open water tips and techniques. Swimmers will be placed into groups of 12-15 individuals with similar experience levels and goals. Coaches will facilitate a 45-minute, in-water session.
- Swim-On-Your-Own: This option is for those participants who prefer to utilize the event services (gear check, wetsuit rental, etc) but swim independently.
- Competitive Aquathlon (Swim + Run): Participants looking to test their endurance against others will start alongside fellow athletes. Swimmers will complete a 750m or 1500m swim (their choice) followed by a 3.1 mile (5k) run along the lakefront. Staff will manually record splits, posting results following the event. This year, the top 3 performing female and male finishers in the 1500m swim distance will earn prizes!
Registration is now open!
Each session is limited to 75 total participants. These events will sell out.
Swim Clinic participants must be 18 years old by December 31, 2021. Registrants will pay a nominal $20 entry fee.
The safety of our participants, staff, coaches, and our community is paramount. The 2021 sessions will operate with a variety of safety protocols in place, which may include reduced overall capacity, restricted venue access, low-contact check-in, required social distancing, mandatory face coverings, and/or other state or local requirements. Beyond these protocols, participants are required to take their own precautions and be self-responsible. Final details will be communicated prior to each session.
Limited, on-site wetsuit rentals will be provided by Urban Tri Gear for $20. Due to historic demand, we strongly advise all swimmers to obtain their own wetsuit prior to attending the session. Due to race weekend demand, rental wetsuits will NOT be available at the August 24 session.
The historic success of this entire Swim Clinic operation revolves around support from our dedicated coaching community. Dozens of incredible local coaches support each of our sessions, and we are constantly incorporating new, qualified triathlon and swim-savvy coaches into the clinic curriculum. These sessions are a great way to give back to the sport, as well as meet potential new personal training clients.
Depending on your experience, familiarity and comfort level, we are happy to accommodate new coaches. All volunteer coaches receive a tri race kit, complimentary food/beer, a variety of other swag and complimentary Chicago Triathlon race entry.
Should you be available to support our clinics, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org