UPDATE (7/24, 12:00 pm CT): Registration for Open Water Swim & Clinic #3 (August 20) is now open. Due to the nature of this event, combined with the on-site Athlete Briefing, this event will sell-out quickly.
The 2019 Chicago Triathlon is proud to introduce the 8th Annual Open Water Swim & Clinic Series. These sessions are designed to help new triathletes safely enter into, and properly prepare for the sport of triathlon. We will host three large sessions this year, designed to better accommodate more individuals. Details below:
2019 Chicago Triathlon Open Water Swim & Clinic Schedule
Location: Ohio Street Beach
Start times range from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
Like last year, participants may select from a range of start times (between 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.). Swim registrants will then choose from two unique event formats:
- Long Distance Swim: Participants looking to test their open water endurance will start at a dedicated time alongside 50-100 other swimmers – a true race simulation. Chip timing will record splits for both 1/2 and full mile distances, with results posted online for those who opt-in to a special Athlinks page. Roving coaches will patrol the waters, to ensure athlete comfort and safety, as well as provide swim tips for those interested. Participants with a decent amount of swim experience are encouraged to test their training at each of these monthly sessions.
- Small Group Swim Clinic: Separate swim instruction will be offered for both new and experienced swimmers who prefer to focus on tips and techniques. Swimmers will be placed into groups (20-30 individuals) with similar experience levels and goals, relative to the registration questionnaire. Coaches will facilitate a 30-minute, in-water session. Upon completion, Swim Clinic students will be encouraged to continue swimming on their own – as much or as little as they please. Specifically, these clinics will cover:
- How open water swimming differs from the pool
- Rules of the triathlon swim
- Swim etiquette at Ohio Street Beach
- Properly wearing / removing a wetsuit
- Common triathlon swim issues (hyperventilating, breathing, sighting)
Clinic participants will select from two classifications during the registration process:
- Beginners: Small group clinics for those who have never swam in open water, never worn a wetsuit and/or have limited confidence in open water.These sessions include a 50/50 balance of conversation (including Q&A) and swimming.
- Intermediates: Small group clinics for those who have some experience and proficiency with open water swimming, but could use enhanced skill development. These sessions include more technique-focused instruction, with longer-distance (endurance-based) swim drills.
All registrants will pay a mandatory $10 donation upon registration. 100% of all proceeds to benefit these official Chicago Triathlon charities: Save the Children, Dare2Tri and the 100 Club of Chicago.
Note: Due to race weekend demand, rental wetsuits will NOT be available at the August 20 session. We strongly encourage swimmers to visit Urban Tri Gear to secure their own wetsuit prior to this event (and race day).
Registration for each clinic will open on a flow via this page and via Facebook on a first-come, first-served basis. Don’t delay! These events, much like race day, sell out quickly.