Learn to love open water swimming in the heart of Chicago!
The Chicago Triathlon is proud to introduce the 10th Annual Open Water Swim Clinic & Aquathlon Series. This program was launched in 2012 to help new triathletes experience open water swimming in a safe, non-intimidating environment. These events provide participants with expert coaching, gear check, wetsuit rental opportunities, lifeguard support and post-event socials with fellow participants and coaches. Additionally, registrants may join the Swim-on-your-own or competitive Aquathlon options. Since inception, more than 12,000 participants have directly enhanced their swim abilities from these clinics.
2021 Chicago Triathlon
Open Water Swim Clinic, Swim-On-Your-Own & Competitive Aquathlon
Location: Ohio Street Beach
Start times range from 4:00 – 6:30 p.m.
- Session #1: Tuesday, June 1
- Session #2: Tuesday, June 29
- Session #3: Tuesday, July 27
- Session #4: Tuesday, August 24
Participants must register for these events separately from the Chicago Triathlon. As in previous years, participants may select from three possible start times (4:00, 5:15 or 6:00 p.m.). Registrants will choose from three unique event formats:
- Open Water Swim Clinic: Private swim instruction for beginner and intermediate-level swimmers looking for open water tips and techniques. Swimmers will be placed into groups of 12-15 individuals with similar experience levels and goals. Coaches will facilitate a 45-minute, in-water session.
- Swim-On-Your-Own: This option is for those participants who prefer to utilize the event services (gear check, wetsuit rental, etc) but swim independently.
- Competitive Aquathlon (Swim + Run): Participants looking to test their endurance against others will start alongside fellow athletes. Swimmers will complete a 750m or 1500m swim (their choice) followed by a 3.1 mile (5k) run along the lakefront. Staff will manually record splits, posting results following the event. This year, the top 3 performing female and male finishers in the 1500m swim distance will earn prizes!
Registration Opening Soon
Stay tuned for registration information. Each session is limited to 75 total participants. These events will sell out.
Swim Clinic participants must be 18 years old by December 31, 2021. Registrants will pay a nominal $20 entry fee.
The safety of our participants, staff, coaches and our community are paramount. The 2021 sessions will operate with a variety of safety protocols in place, which may include reduced overall capacity, restricted venue access, low-contact check-in, required social distancing, mandatory face coverings and/or other state or local requirements. Beyond these protocols, participants are required to take their own precautions and be self-responsible. Final details will be communicated prior to each session.
Urban Tri Gear will provide a small inventory of demo wetsuits for use during these sessions. A $20 rental fee applies, which can be used as credit toward purchase of a new wetsuit. Urban Tri Gear also offers 5-day wetsuit rentals ($55 sleeveless, $65 full-sleeve) as part of these sessions. Please contact Urban Tri Gear to secure your rental in advance. They will coordinate all logistics. Due to anticipated demand from cold water temperatures, we strongly advise all swimmers obtain their own wetsuit prior to attending the session.
Full event details will be emailed to all registrants prior to each session. Meanwhile, please watch this page and follow us on Facebook for updates.