The Chicago Triathlon is proud to introduce the 9th Annual Open Water Swim Clinic & Aquathlon Series. These sessions are designed to help new triathletes safely enter into and properly prepare for the sport of triathlon, as well as offer experienced swimmers a competitive outlet.
Relative to our ability to safely assemble in the near future, we plan to host three sessions this year:
2020 Chicago Triathlon
Open Water Swim Clinic & Aquathlon Series
Location: Ohio Street Beach
Start times range from 4:30 – 6:30 p.m.
- Session #1: Tuesday, June 30
- Session #2: Tuesday, July 28
- Session #3: Tuesday, August 25
Participants must register for these events separately from the Chicago Triathlon. As in previous years, participants may select from a range of start times (4:30, 5:30 or 6:30 p.m.). Registrants will choose from two unique event formats:
- Aquathlon: Aquathlon is a swim + run competitive event. Participants looking to test their open water endurance will start at a dedicated time alongside other swimmers. Swimmers will complete a half or full mile swim (their choice) followed by a 5K run along the lakefront. Staff will record swim splits, posting results following the event. Prizes will be awarded on-site to the top 3 men and women in the full-mile swim distance. Life guards and coaches will patrol the courses.
- Small Group Swim Clinic: Separate swim instruction will be offered for both new and intermediate-level swimmers who prefer to gain open water tips and techniques. Swimmers will be placed into groups of 15-20 individuals with similar experience levels and goals — relative to the registration questionnaire. Coaches will facilitate 45-minute, in-water session. Upon completion, Swim Clinic students will be encouraged to continue swimming on their own – as much or as little as they please. Specifically, these clinics will cover:
- How open water swimming differs from the pool
- Rules of the triathlon swim
- Swim etiquette at Ohio Street Beach
- Properly choosing, wearing and removing a wetsuit
- Common triathlon swim issues (hyperventilating, breathing, sighting)
Clinic participants will select from two classifications during the registration process:
- Beginners: Small group clinics for those who have never swam in open water, never worn a wetsuit and/or have limited confidence in open water. These sessions include a 50/50 balance of conversation (including Q&A) and swimming.
- Intermediates: Small group clinics for those who have some experience and proficiency with open water swimming, but could use enhanced skill development. These sessions include more technique-focused instruction, with longer-distance swim drills.
Following the events, participants are invited to congregate at Caffe’ Oliva for conversation and input from fellow athletes and coaches. Secured gear check is provided at each session.
Stay tuned for registration information. Priority access will open to those currently registered for the 2020 Chicago Triathlon via email link at 12:00 p.m. on the day registration opens. A public registration link will be posted at www.chicagotriathlon.com at 1:00 p.m. the same day. Registration for future clinics will open at the conclusion of the previous clinic. Capacity will be limited. These events will sell-out. Wait lists will be established.
Swim Clinic participants must be 18 years old by December 31, 2020. Registrants will pay a nominal $20 entry fee. Aquathlon competitors $30. A portion of all proceeds will benefit local, triathlon-centric charities.
Limited, on-site wetsuit rentals will be provided by Urban Tri Gear for $20. Due to historic demand, we strongly advise all swimmers obtain their own wetsuit prior to attending the session. Due to race weekend demand, rental wetsuits will NOT be available at the August 25 session.
Full event details will be emailed to all registrants prior to each session. Meanwhile, please watch this page and follow us on Facebook for updates.